¿What is the Work and Sustainable Development Programme?
It is a specific course of action of the secretary of Environment and Sustainable Development, established by Resolution Nº 1189/05, with the purpose to incorporate Trade Unions to the discussion, analysis, elaboration, application and monitoring of the environmental politics of State.
¿Why was created this Programme?
One of the products of the new liberal politics in the last decades was the increase of the unemployment, the fall of the income and the increase of the exclusion. In that context, the scarce participation for takes decisions of the most dynamic sector of our country, the workers, and the high impact in this sector, did not permit the focal point of actions in environmental topics. The absence of representatives of the workers in the different areas and programs about environmental accounts receivable, still of those that supposed a greater linking with the working world, and over other community sectors, they were test of it. Like consequence of gradual resolution in recent years, in order to the primary priorities of the workers, the thematic spectrum for this interaction is opened.
¿What general objective is pursued with this Programme?
Arriving at agreements between government and Trade Unions, by means of its representatives, and to develop environmental politics as a group for benefit of all community peoples.
¿Which was historic development?
When start the Environmental Agenda 2004 – 2007 for the Growth and the Equity, are established a series of meetings with diverse actors of the working world and of the workers" movement, which go shaping a joint agenda. At the end of the 2004 they participate in a 10 Conference on Climatic Change (COP 10). During the 2005 some workshops are carried out, that culminate with the historic framework agreement between the CGT and the Secretary. This agreement was the first one in the history of the Nation, with these characteristic, and open the road for the first joint actions, by sector. At the same time all institutional spaces for the participation of the workers was open, develops the web page of the Program and the Trade Union-Environmental Coordination is formed, this space that is unique in the world, serves for consensus of the politics to continue between workers and government; being met periodically. New complementary agreements are presented. At the end of the 2005 a new Conference on Climatic Change (COP 11) is carried out, where both parts participate of the boards as a group and for 1º time brings to light the program to the international community. Likewise initiated the 2006, the Secretary of Environment and Sustainable Development are invited by the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) to the 1º International Conference on Work and Environment in Nairobi - Kenya, the objectives of the program are exposed and a statement of the government delivers, and defined position, on environmental politics in relation with the labour world. Since then and taking as own them advanced of that Conference, a timetable of activities is established, expressed in National Regional Encounters and in the perspective of develop the 1º National Congress on Work and Sustainable Development.
¿Which are some of the most prominent objectives of the Programme?
• Attending Trade Unions in the identification and application of the instruments and adequate elements for the analysis and resolution of the environmental problematic, to promote agreements by sector in relation to their local realities and for each branch of activity and to institutionalize these agreements.
• Promoting labor stability and generation of new jobs by means of the sustainable and integral utilization to the natural resources.
• Developing activities of training and exchange of experiences between the Trade Unions and between these and the Secretary.
• Devising documents and publications of awareness-raising and disclosure; diffusion of the actions and of the activities linked to the subject matter, toward the organizations and the community in general. Analyzing practices and processes related to the work in the different sector branches for elaboration of guides of Good Environmental Practices and technical support for implementation.
¿What is the Environmental Trade Union - Coordination?
The Environmental - Trade Union Coordination arises like need to give an operating answer to the own actions of the Programme Work and Sustainable Development and is the space of political discussion of the activities that develop in the program, being converted at the same time exactly focal of analysis, proposed, monitoring and evaluation of the activities that arise as a result of the consensus reached for these. It is a deliberative organ and of execution of the actions presented in the program and is conformed in bipartisan form between representatives corps of Secretary of Environment and Sustainable Development and Trade Unions; being the primary responsibility of the Environmental National Office
The meetings are newspapers each 7 – 15 days and they can be carry out into SAyDS building as in organic dependences of the organizations of workers and/or of their Unions and Confederations. The governmental actors are from national administrative environment,. The Trade Unions actors are of diverse Unions and Confederations and they concur in representation of the Labor General Confederation.
¿What functions have this Coordination?
• Promoting the inclusion of the representatives Trade Unions into the different work’s areas in the SAyDS
• Ratifying the Complementary Agreements under the framework of Mutual Cooperation between the SAyDS and the different Unions, Confederacies and Confederations of the workers.
• Establishing subgroups of work in relation with the Programme functions.
• Prompting and contribute to generation of programmes and projects for to be presented in the different areas and programs of the SAyDS.
• Establishing work/timetables and technical - political criteria, for produce activities, participation of the SAyDS and Trade Unions in Seminars, Workshops, Conferences, Courses of Training and National and International Congresses, in the framework of the
• Programme and purpose of making hierarchical the figure of the environmental delegate.
¿Why is important the figure of the Environmental Delegate?
Because it is who will develop tools that permit to make possible modifications in the branches of activity, that can be produced as a result of world and local environmental situations that determine changes quantitative and/or qualitative in the distribution of the productive forces and those of the branches of activity. These tools and associated mechanisms to these possible modifications are defined like “Just Transition”.
¿Which are the keys of this Just Transition?
Four fundamental pillars of reference exist. There are:
• The institutional opening of the environmental competence government spaces, for the inclusion of the workers.
• The role of the governments in continuous and systematic training of the workers, in environmental questions.
• A strong impulse of the governments for develops alternatives energies.
• Providing concepts and prominent information to workers in order that they can include the environmental dimension in the collective bargaining agreements of work.
See the complete report about Just Transition process in Argentina from 2004 till 2009 (COP 15)
¿Who another actors are involved in this Programme?
The Health Pan-American Organization (HPO), the Uniting Food, Farm and Hotel Workers (IFU) and the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), they are found promoting the program and facilitating the concreteness of the objectives at National and International level.